Thursday, April 26, 2007

Finding myself in a cookbook....

Whether you believe me or not there is an annoying side to a grandma. She is not always the one who tells you bedtime stories and makes the best food in the world, or the one who knits you the warmest sweater in the world, or the one who gives you the best oil massage in the world. Sometimes she is just plain annoying. She always treats you like a baby, always tells you what to do, looks at you like you are an alien if you wear jeans for some pooja, and if you dare to walk in front of her in a strappy spaghetti, that's the end of all mankind, for all the Bhagwad Gita's and all the Bible's and the Quran's then come out of the closets and the God is summoned in different languages, just so that, miraculously, a polo neck sweater falls on you and covers your body!!!
My Granny is not as exaggerated as I made all the others out to be, but she isn't very different either. She is almost 5 feet tall, almost 50 kgs, and she almost always forgets what we tell her. She blames me for not tellin her things even if she forgets them herself, and feels , almost insulted everytime I'm not at home for lunch or dinner, and holds it against me until I come home for my next meal and she gets a chance to over-serve me again! She wants to do everything she is told not to, and with every growing year, she is becoming a stubborn, lovable, child, who sometimes just gets on your nerves! She shouts at me sometimes just because she wants some attention, and repeats the same thing a 100 million times, and more until I do it in front of her own eyes!
It was one of those days, when she had told me to do something trivial for the 1500th time already, and I was minutes away from literally pulling out my hair and doing the rain dance, when I found myself.....in a cookbook. She was sitting close to me, looking for new recipes in her almost ancient cookbook, when she took out a little red envelope from page number 159, 'aluchi vadi'. She asked me to look at what she took out of that red envelope. It was an old photograph of me and her on a nice, calm beach in Goa. It was her, younger, stronger, still almost 5 feet and almost 50 kgs, with a big, happy smile, and eyes fixated on me, small, chubby, almost 3 feet, and not to forget, a hilarious hat! When I looked up at her, the only thing she said was, "You and me!" and the only thing I could do to hide my tears was to mask it with a big, happy, smile.

3 comments:

Satyajeet said...

very very well written shweta... very touching.. i cudnt figure out the end until the...end.. very very nicely written.. loved it..

Prince_Vegeta said...

very beautifully crafted , and touched ma heart , loved the emotions , simply superb ,

pp said...

thats a very well written and touching story man grand moms are really cute and they really love thier grand children alot more than their own kids lol....tc waiting for ur other post...